National Juvenile Justice Network
July 20-21, Washington, DC
Monday July 20th - 10th Anniversary Reception
5:30 pm -7:30 pm - Please come to celebrate NJJN, and to honor our founders; Jennifer Gonnerman, New Yorker staff writer and author of the 2014 story about Kaleif Browder, "Before the Law" -- a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize -- who will receive NJJN's inaugural "Story of Justice Media Award"; Jody Owens II, the 2015 Gutsy Advocate for Youth; and Patti Puritz and Bob Schwartz, who will each receive the Lifetime Leadership Award in Youth Justice Reform. It'll be a fun, inspiring event!
Tuesday July 21st - Friends, Allies and Members Day
Breakfast on own.
8:30-9:00 Registration for Non-Members
9:00 -10:30 Shifting Gears: Strategically Reframing Juvenile Justice.
Julie Sweetland, Ph.D., Director of Learning, FrameWorks Institute
10:45-12:15 Concurrent Sessions
- Orphanages, Training Schools, Reform Schools and Now This? Children w/Disabilities in the Juvenile Justice System
- Dollars and Sense: The Case for Fiscal Realignment
- Education in Facilities
- Negotiating Positive Youth Development and Risk and Needs Assessment
12:30-2:30 Lunch & Round Robin Campaign Roundtables
Several opportunities for 20-minute table discussions on different campaign topics, including:
- ACLU’s Solitary Confinement Campaign
- The Campaign Against Indiscriminate Juvenile Shackling
- YouthFirst! Initiative
- Campaign for Fair Sentencing of Youth
- Campaign for Youth Justice
- Juvenile Law Center – Statutory Schemes to Reduce Detention
- Pew Charitable Trust
2:45-4:15 Concurrent Sessions
- Juvenile Justice Federal Advocacy Playbook
- Privatization and the Need for Accountability to Ensure Good Programming
- Nobody Under the Bus: How to Address Youth with Serious and Violent Offenses
- Seeking Justice for LGBTQ Youth in the System
4:15-5:00 Final Session and Closing Remarks
Wednesday July 22nd Optional Hill Day
PLEASE NOTE: The agenda is subject to change and will be updated regularly in the weeks leading up to the Forum. E-mail email@example.com with any questions.